The last few nights I have awakened in the middle of the night and couldn’t go back to sleep. Think. Think. Think. Once my mind started, it wouldn’t stop as I thought of various friends, family and situations that were in chaos.
What we do with that concern determines whether we are just going fret and worry or if we are going to let it catapult us to effective action.
How can we turn heart-felt compassion for others, for our nation, or our family, friends and loved ones who are going through difficult seasons to reach breakthrough?
Here are some important steps:
So how do we turn compassion into effective prayers?
With COVID, shutdowns, inclement weather threatening blackouts in some areas, we can all agree that almost every family is going through at least some area of hardship. Situations for some are becoming overwhelming as people face illness, financial woes, death of loved ones, loss of jobs, children in trouble – the list goes on and on.
SEE ALSO: How We Can Miss our Answer to Prayer
As I lay in bed, one of those situations instantly came to mind. The weight of their pain brought tears to my eyes and felt as if it were mine.
But we can turn compassion into prayers for breakthrough!
Tears of compassion rolled down my cheeks as I sensed the Lord tell me to get up and turn the tears to travail. I turned my concern to prayer and began to earnestly pray scripture and faith into the situation. Then the weight began to lift.
I was reminded that night, that if I will turn fear into faith and pray prophetically into the situation rather than praying the problems, the atmosphere will change. So it did that night. I prayed until peace came and then went back to bed and back to sleep.
SEE ALSO: Brace for Impact
Back in Elisha’s day, when enemy armies were completely surrounding them, Elisha’s servant was afraid. He saw from a natural perspective But Elisha saw the situation from a heavenly perspective. That’s what we also need to do as we are faced with overwhelming issues.
And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, LORD, so that he may see.” Then the LORD opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha (2 Kings 6:17).
May we learn to live in that place as well where we see the obstacles facing us from God’s vantage point. May we go higher.
When we are double-minded in our prayers and doubt, we can’t receive anything from God (James 1:6,7). We have to go higher. We have to look from His vantage point. Especially in the troubling days in which we live, we must learn to see from His perspective not ours.
Steps to Effective Breakthrough Prayer
Do you need breakthrough in these challenging times? Here are some steps to follow. It is important to read the scriptures out loud followed by the prayer. When we speak the word aloud we are literally speaking life into the atmosphere. And we know that His Word never returns void, but will accomplish that which it is sent forth to do.
- Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear for I am with you. Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, be assured I will help you; I will certainly take hold of you with My righteous right hand [a hand of justice, of power, of victory, of salvation].’ Prayer: Father, I refuse to fear over ______. I believe You are with them! I am assured that you’re helping them. Thank you for strengthening them and upholding them with your right hand of power and victory.
- Psalm 18:33 You make my feet like the feet of a deer and will cause me to stand on the heights. Prayer: Lord, I declare that You are causing ________to rise above their current situation. You are putting their feet on the rock of Your foundation and turning the impossible into possible.
- Psalm 40:2-3 He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear and will trust in the Lord. Prayer: Lord, I believe You are bringing _____ out of this situation and setting them on a firm foundation. You’re putting a new song in their mouth! A good testimony will come from this; many will see and come to trust in You.
Turn your compassion into prayers for breakthrough.
- James 4:8 – Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Prayer: I believe this situation is drawing ______ closer and closer to you, which is always a good thing. They will seek you and find you and you will meet every one of their needs.
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Prayer: Father, I know that You are working in _______’s situation and will turn this for their good. ______is called according to Your purpose for their lives and so I declare that this situation is turning for their good and for Your glory.
- 2 Corinthians 2:14 – Now thanks be unto God, which always causes us to triumph in Christ. Prayer: Thank you, Lord, that you are causing ______ to triumph in this situation. Your Word never returns void. It ALWAYS causes us to overcome.
After you have prayed, continue to speak life into the situation whenever it comes back to mind. Command fear to go. Refuse to give it place in your mind or heart. Instead, use these prompts as reminders to pray and turn your compassion into prayers for breakthrough.
Free scriptural prayers are available by clicking here.
- Stand Fast: How to Pray in Uncertain Times
- He Will Provide: Scriptural Prayer Decrees for Provision
- Secure the Borders of Your Home: Scriptural Prayer Decrees for You and Your Family
- Prayer of Confession/Repentance and a Cry for Revival
- Prayer of Breakthrough for America